LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DataSocket Server will not start when the Launch DS Server if Local URL.VI is bundled into a LabVIEW application.

I want to run a LabVIEW application on several machines remotely that do not have LabVIEW installed (licensing issues). Hence I have built a LabVIEW executable with the RunTime Engine to install on all of these remote machines.

The VI has a bi-directional link, using Datasockets, to a machine with DAQ and Image acquisition functions. It primarily receives data items, but also the capability to change data items so it needs to run the "Launch DS Server if Local URL.VI" in order to publish data to the DataSocket server.

When I run the pre-built VI on a machine that has LabVIEW Developers Edition installed, everything works fine - ie.
the DataSocket server starts on the remote machine. However when I build the *.exe application and run it on a machine with and without LabVIEW Developers Edition installed the VI successfully subscribes to the DAQ and Image Acquisiton machine, but it does not start its own connection to the Data Socket server, and hence does not publish the data that the DAQ machine needs to suscribe to. IT seems that the Launch DS Server if Local URL.VI is bypassed? I have fiddled around with the Build settings but to no avail.

In short, how do I get the DataSocket Server to run in a LabVIEW executable? Is it indeed possible? Any advice would be welcomed.

When distributing a Labview Application (*.exe) with Data Socket Server Publish functionality, the DataSocket server does not start and hence no data can be sent by the Remote PC to the Server. The VI successfully retrieves data from the DS Server. I have used the "Launch DS Server if Local URL.vi" in the ditributed application but for some r
eason this VI is not executed when I run the executable. How can you force the DataSocket Server to run with executable LabVIEW applications?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,073 Views)
Rob,

The Launch DS Server VI makes a call by reference to Datasocket Server Control.vi. This is a dynamic call so the Datasocket Server Control.vi must be added as a dynamic vi during the build under source files. You may find the vi in vi.lib>>platform>>dataskt.llb. Add this and it should launch.

Ryan Tamblin
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 4
(4,073 Views)
Thanks, Ryan - this worked perfectly.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,073 Views)

Ryan,

How to add Datasocket Server Control.vi?

Source Files only show Project Files.

So, I added Datasocket Server Control.vi file to the project first.

Then I added it to Always Included < Source Files < Application Properties (Build Executable).

Last, I built the Executable, but it didn't work.

Can you help me.

Thank you.

Pedro Raposo

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,352 Views)