LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to NIWeek 2005? Sign up for the LabVIEW Coding Challenge

Hello fellow wireworkers,

This year at NIWeek, we are holding a LabVIEW Coding Challenge for members of the LabVIEW community. The winner will receive a Dell PDA and a free copy of the LabVIEW PDA Module. Eight members of the LabVIEW community get to participate. The challenge will be held in tournament style: two people compete against each other and the winner continues to the next round. We will implement a tournament bracket to determine who competes against who.

We are giving you all the first opportunity to participate. We already have two participants (Bruce Ammons and Jim Kring), so the first six people who sign up on this thread get to participate: first come, first served. If you are attending NIWeek, and wish to participate in this challenge, reply to this posting immediately. Once we have received six more participants, I will give them further information and instructions for the challenge. Good luck!
J.R. Allen
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 26
(8,166 Views)
OK, I'll sign up if it's plain LabVIEW (e.g. no instrument control, DAQ hardware, etc.). 😄
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 26
(8,143 Views)

Hi JR.

I will once again suggest that you float this, so people can see it. At the same time, you might wish to unfloat the other challenge thread, since the last time for submissions was last week.

I wonder whether doing it like this will not cause some "ordinary people" to sign up, thus leaving Alten, Jim and Bruce no competition.

And no, I'm not signing. I won't be at NIweek and I would probably lose anyway (even though I "beat" both Alten and Franz yesterday in an optimization challenge). Besides, I already have the PDA module and a PDA. I would like to take this opportunity to express my disappointment at the PDA module. Not that the concept isn't good. It is and the programs work, mostly. It's just that there are still many "small problems", annoying bugs, missing features, visual differences and stuff like that. I hope that version 8 will be much better in those areas.

Good luck to the contestants.

(8,137 Views)

Wow, tough competition already! When is it being held and how (dimly lit, locked room, with web cams podcasting the LabVIEW community as Jim, Christian, et al battle it out, wiring variants to polymorphic inputs...) I'll be at NIWeek, but find the listed participants pretty intimidating! As I said, let us know a little of how this is being held. I'll tenatively sign up (to be one of the "ordinary people" mentioned in the earlier post)

P.M.

Message Edited by LV_Pro on 08-09-2005 08:13 AM

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 26
(8,129 Views)
I'm in!

Just don't resurrect that FFT challenge...

See you guys at NI Week!

Dan Press
PrimeTest Automation
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 26
(8,066 Views)

I'm in.

Aaron

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 26
(8,050 Views)
I'm not as familiar with Aaron, but, with Dan joining the fray... Uh, oh!  So will I at least get a T-shirt or something to show for my hubris? Smiley Surprised
One question, as the competition is apparently during lunch, will we still get food Smiley Wink ? (Hey I've been an engineer for quite a while, much of it in the field, and I try and never miss an opportunity to eat, particularly when someone else has paid!)

P.M.
Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 26
(8,005 Views)

@LV_Pro wrote:
One question, as the competition is apparently during lunch, will we still get food Smiley Wink
That might have been a problem a few LabVIEW version ago.
Now, with the the tool autoselection feature, you should have no problems coding with one hand and eating with the other  😉
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 26
(7,971 Views)

You obviously haven't seen me eat! Smiley Wink Not to mention that with the tension of the competition I will probably loose my appetite! When I mentioned this competition at home her only reply was, just try not to bring home any more travel mugs/cups!

P.M.

Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 26
(7,952 Views)
Hello all,

Here is our current list of participants:

Jim Kring
Bruce Ammons
altenbach
LV_Pro
Photon Dan
Aaron G

Here are some specifics on the challenge:
  1. Time - The challenge will take place over two days: lunch on Tuesday and Wednesday from 12:45 - 1:30. We won't have extra food at the challenge, but you can come and go from the cafeteria.
  2. Place - The challenge will be held at the LabVIEW Community Lounge. All participants need to be at the booth by 12:45.
  3. We have two computers at the booth. This is why we've set it up bracket style. Each compter has it's own monitor (they face each other), plus each computer is connected to a plasma screen which viewers can watch.
  4. Each individual challenge will be different and should take about 6-7 minutes to complete. Whoever completes a functioning solution first is the winner for that round.
If any of you have questions, call me at NI (512.683.0100). I look forward to seeing everyone. Get ready for a great challenge!
J.R. Allen
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 26
(7,919 Views)