Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDA forum

I have used the PocketPC target a bit and expect a big future for these kinds of platforms. I have run into many inconsistencies and installation problems (most due to MS software issues) that are unique to the platform and not to Labview. It has happened to me more than once that a functioning VI under windows would not run on the PocketPC. There is not a lot of documentation available and a thread for PDA could quickly round up a lot of user experience.

Aart-Jan
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seriously concerned about the Labview subscription model
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(20,787 Views)

I think I agree.

I think that the market for "personal embedded targets" will probably grow, and if NI plans to keep supporting these devices (PDAs, smartphones, or whatever else comes along), there really should be a board for these targets as well. I'm sure it can get more posts than some of the other boards here, say the Profibus board (75 posts). At the moment I'm only a random user myself, but that may yet change.

(20,773 Views)
I was wondering the same thing just yesterday.

We're looking at a new project that would use a PocketPC, and as I've started to use the PDA module, I'm sure I'll have question specific to that.

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(20,771 Views)
Try these articles:
http://www.findingfacts.com/L3/L3_1_69_70.php

Good luck
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(20,729 Views)

Molly?

Any response?

(20,729 Views)
Sorry!  I'm here!

I did some preliminary analysis of this and need to investigate a bit more before we are ready to decide if we should create a new board for PDA.

Thanks!
Molly K.
Web Support & Operations Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(20,712 Views)

@Molly K wrote:

I did some preliminary analysis of this and need to investigate a bit more before we are ready to decide

2.5 months later...

There seems to be some increase in LV PDA posts recently, and I assume there will be more if people get 8.0 PDA.

Have any conclusions been reached so far?

tst -
Sorry.  This is still on my list of things to investigate.  Thanks for the reminder!
Have a great day,
Molly K.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(20,449 Views)
Molly,

I did a quick bit of investigating myself.

I did an advance search on just the LabVIEW forum with a keyword of "PDA" and added the keyword "Re:" to the "Without the Words" line to exclude replies to topics to try and get the number of unique topics talking about PDAs.

Within the last 90 days, there have been 50 topics started where PDA was mentioned. Not a lot I realize, but it seems to be more than some of the other less used boards. I've just started to use the PDA module and have several ideas and a lot experimenting I need to do. I've already come up with several questions that are specific to the PDA (Pocket PC in my case) module. I think the PDA module is different enough from regular LabVIEW that it should have it's own forum. It's really the same situation as LabVIEW RealTime.

Maybe it's time? Smiley Wink

Ed

Message Edited by Ed Dickens on 12-27-2005 03:00 PM

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
Message 9 of 14
(20,246 Views)

Ed -

We have been toying with ideas on if and how to divide up the LabVIEW board for a long time.  I think the ideal solution is on the horizon, but the technology hasn't caught up to it yet.  What we would like to do eventually would be to give users the ability to tag the threads with various information - ie. product, version, application, question type, expertise - and then dynamically the community can categorize and filter all of the information without actually moving any of the threads or dividing up the community.  I think it will be as flexible as anyone can tag any thread with anything at anytime.  It solves the problem of having to categorize the content before you actually know where to put it as well as it doesn't divide the LabVIEW community up into so many smaller communities that people lose the audience to post their question to.

In the meantime, we are considering launching some custom filters to help those users who are interested in PDA, FPGA, RT, and DSC so they can find threads throughout the entire community.  Do you think this would be helpful?

Happy New Year!

Molly K.
National Instruments
Message 10 of 14
(20,215 Views)