FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting an error 33162 when trying to read analog input on FP

I am getting a error when trying to do a simple analog input read using Field Point. I have a FP-2000 network module and am trying to read channel 0 at FP-TB-10 @3 which has an AI-C420 analog input module in place. There is no definition for the error and I can read the signal from Field Point Explorer just fine.

I have downloaded the example continuous read vi from the web site and it does not work either. It seems that this should not be complicated but this is not the 1st problem I have had. I will take any suggestions. Thank you.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,476 Views)
Mike,

Error code 33162, "Can not connect to item on module," generally is the result of attempting to connect to an item that is not available at the first connection attempt. This is frequently the result of an ethernet network module being offline when you attempt to connect to it. Since you are able to connect from FieldPoint Explorer, I suspect something else is going on. The likeliest possibilities that I can think of are:
1) You have more than one ethernet Comm Resource in your IAK file and you have provided the name for the wrong resource (e.g. you may have had a different IP address and created a new Comm Resourcefor the new IP address, but left the old one in place and are using the wrong one).
2) Similar to #1 above, you changed the IP address in
the Comm Resource but did not save the change so there is no module at the IP address it is attempting to communicate with.
3) There is a misconfiguration in the IAK file and the FP-TB-10 shows a listing for a digital module at address 0 rather than an analog module.
4) The module is misaddressed. I have occasionally seen instances where the protective end cover was not installed on the last terminal base and a piece of metal shorted some of the pins causing the addressing to be incorrect. Since this method of failure would also show up in FieldPoint Explorer, I do not think it is likely the root cause of your problem.
5) You have booted the FP-20xx in Safe Mode (although FieldPoint Explorer will not work in this case so I do not think it is likely).

Note: If you had successfully connected and then lost the connection, the error code is 33163, "The connection to the module has been broken."

Regards,
Aaron
Message 2 of 4
(4,476 Views)
Aaron,
Thanks again for the advice. I think I figured out the problem. When I have the FP module run an application at statup I cannot read the analog input from the host computer and get the error code 33162. When I move the disable vi dip switch to on and then try to read from the host PC it works fine. Does this sound correct that you cannot run an embedded on the FP module and read from the host?

If yes, how can I programmatically disable the embedded application in order to read from the host and resart it without removing power. I am guessing that I can stop the vi and then read from the host but I will then need to restart the embedded.

The question relates to a previous posting I made. I am using the host PC to determine scaling constants and
configuration variables. Therefore, the host needs to read(analog inputs) from the module and use the values to determine the constants which will then be FTPd into the module for the embedded to read for auto operation. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Message 3 of 4
(4,476 Views)
Mike,

If having a VI run at start-up prevents the host computer from being able to access the I/O points, then there is something wrong with the VI that is being run. The most likely probablility is that your VI is somehow locking up the processor. The most likely cause of this is a while loop with no delay in it (generally, you should have a delay in while loops even if is only 1 ms). Alternatively, if your VI has been set to a very high priority level and does not have any idle time between loops, we can be starving the IA control environment of the processing power it needs to publish the FieldPoint I/O points (and data published using the PublishData.vi).

Regards,
Aaron
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,476 Views)