From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning for NI week 2008

Hi Everybody!
   it's quite a dream, but... I hope I can be at NI week 2008! So I was seeking some useful infos about it. I'd like to understand better, from people who already went there, past years,  what's the  registering options, and (practically) what are they for.  Yes, I know the link of NI Week registration, I was only wandering if, in your opinion, it's better to do a full conference registration (costy Smiley Indifferent), or something else.  I'm not an educator, so I can't take discount from this, nor I'll come with a group.... so, what's the advice?!?!?

Apart from this, there's alzo the accomodation! I've never been in Austin.... (and never to the USA...Smiley Sad ), so.... what is worth to know?!?!?

Really thanks in helping me to fulfill this little dream Smiley Happy !

Have a nice day, and... perhaps, see you at NI week?

graziano
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 25
(7,720 Views)
For registration, in lieu of any other discounts, registering by spring 08 usually will give a discount. If you are coming a long way for NIWeek, going to the entire event is probably the best idea. As to accomedations, National Instruments negotiated really good discounts with a number of the hotels downtown for NIWeek07, but those probably get taken way before the date of the event (although I was able to book my hotel only about a month before). The weather is very warm in August, but the hotels, NIWeek coinference center, etc., are frequently air conditioned to extreme, so having a light jacket is a good idea. I might not rent a car the next time, it spent most of the time in the garage at the hotel, at an additional cost, while I walked the 5 blocks to the conference.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 2 of 25
(7,697 Views)

Also, to save some additional money, you can try getting someone else to share a hotel room (and the bill) with you. That's what someone at LAVA did this year. As mentioned, the hotels are all down-town and probably less than 15 minutes walking distance from the convention center.

The conference itself is something like this -

• There are 4 days. The first is for alliance members, and they scan your card at the entrance to each room, so you can't get in unless you're an alliance member. I'm not sure, but I think this is also true for the exhibit. The other three days (or 2.5 for many people, since a lot of people have flights on Thursday) are open.
  • In the morning, there's a keynote, where you have everyone together in the same hall.
  • During the day, there are various simultaneous sessions, which are published about a month before NIWeek. Sometimes you get two sessions you want to go to at the same time. In that case, you either need to see if one of them will be repeated or give up one of them. I don't think you can practically go to all the sessions you want to.
    NI's online system for scheduling your sessions this year wasn't particularly good. Maybe next year they'll improve it.
  • Also during the entire day, there's an exhibit with all kinds of interesting stuff. You just wander in and out. I don't know if lunch is included in the price of the conference, but I was told the food wasn't that great, so you might wish to take that into consideration.
  • During the evenings, there are various fun activities, some organized by NI, some by LAVA and some privately.

You can gain a lot from the sessions, but you can probably gain even more from interacting with R&D and other users (if you can find them).

As for another issue, make sure your flight times are reasonable. I came to the alliance day on Monday, but because my flight was bumped, I got in around 23:00 on Sunday instead of around 15:00 after about 24 hours of travelling, and you probably want to sleep well. Someone else was so delayed that she only got there on Tuesday night.

You also probably don't want to stress yourself for leaving too early on Thursday. I just grabbed a Friday flight to San Francisco and took a few days off. Yes, it causes you to be away for almost two weeks, but it's probably worth it.

If you can afford it then pay for the full conference. If you can't then you don't need to spend a dime. All the keynotes are free. The exibition hall is free. The only thing i'm not sure about is the evening events but you can probably sneak-in for free there too.

Some here on the forums claim the sessions have little value, others say they're awsome. Who knows really. I don't really care, I go because it's my life, my career, my job... I have to go.

Michael Aivaliotis
VI Shots LLC
Message 4 of 25
(7,692 Views)
Hi People,
   Thanks everybody, very, very useful informations!!!

If I'm coming, I think I'll come to full conference.  The flight from Italy already costs a lot, so why save money on this? It can be quite silly.... 

I like particularly the Hotel availability, while I find strange so long flight delays...   Coming from Italy will make me take 2 flights, something like Milan->NY, NY->Austin..... someone knows a better way? Maybe I can fly directly from some european city to Austin....

Thanks again!

graziano
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 25
(7,663 Views)

yes you can:

last time i took a Lufthanza flight to Houston. then some 2.5 hours drive to Austin. it is not that difficult, and Lufthanza flights are really really good (and not more expensive). you will still need 2 flights tough.

i dream to get to NI week. either need a company support, or make my own company (which would support me Smiley Very Happy) )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
... And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wires...
Message 6 of 25
(7,646 Views)
Hi Gabi1!
   I'd prefer to fly directly to Austin, I prefer to travel in Europe (where I'm more familiar Smiley Wink ) then jump directly to Ni week!

Any further suggestion is wellcomed!

graziano
Message 7 of 25
(7,645 Views)
I agree that it is nice to fly directy into Austin. It is a great airport and not as hectic as in the big cities.

Public transportation is very good. You can take the city bus about every 20 minutes and it will take you very close to the conference center and hotels for 50 cents.

If you enjoy live music, there are quite a few live music venues on 6th streeet, all within walking distance. You definitely don't need a car, it is just extra hassle. NI provides bus transportation to the outside events.

The negotiated Hotel rates are typically around $100/night. Make sure you get a Hotel that also offers free internet, some charge extra for that. In previous years, I stayed at the Hampton, right west of the conference center (but this year it was not listed). This year I was at the Omni, a block or two further away. Great Hotels, both.

Last year I brought my wife and we stayed a few extra days for sightseeing and adventures. Enjoyed it!

If you love bats, go to the congress bridge (walking distance) in the evening for a spectacle. 🙂

Message 8 of 25
(7,638 Views)
the problem with Austin is that there is no (that i know of) direct flight to Europe. so you have to pass trough one of the big hubs, like NY or Chicago. that might make the overall trip much longer. personally, i hate the transfer in both those cities.
but i have a feeling there is a high chance for a flight Houston to Milano (most european companies goes to Houston).

but then again, it is all a question of taste. you could combine it with a nice trip to NY or Los Angeles (direct flight from big European cities), then in-US flight, as tst proposed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
... And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wires...
Message 9 of 25
(7,629 Views)
As someone from Austin, I know that our airport is called Austin Bergstrom International Airport, but in practice the only international flights are to some cities in Mexico.  It is a small airport, about 25 gates.  To fly direct from Europe, you need to fly into Houston or Dallas/Fort Worth.  San Antonio might have some international flights, but I don't know for sure.  The flight from Houston or D/FW to Austin is very short and happens often, so you might want to fly into one of those airports from Europe so that if you are delayed, you can just hop on the next scheduled flight without too much trouble.

Hope this helps  Smiley Happy

Laura
Message 10 of 25
(7,612 Views)

I agree with most here. You should try and get a connecting flight that is as close as possible to your final destination. NY may sound cool but it's tiring getting back on a plane for another couple of hours. Flying from Houston or Dallas is probably just an hour.

Michael Aivaliotis
VI Shots LLC
Message 11 of 25
(5,230 Views)

@Michael Aivaliotis wrote:
Some here on the forums claim the sessions have little value, others say they're awsome. Who knows really. I don't really care, I go because it's my life, my career, my job... I have to go.

Michael has to go for another reason... he's the LAVA cameraman!  🙂

I went to my first NI Week.  It was awesom!  Why did I wait so long!!!
Well worth the trip.  Very friendly people in Texas (take time to visit San-Antonio and some other towns on the way there).

The best part is meeting people that are on this forum!

RayR

Message 12 of 25
(5,214 Views)

NIWeek is definitely worth your time. I get the most from the sessions though.

As for flight, I live in Houston... I love the drive from here to Austin. It is a direct drive that takes about 2.5 hours. Some of the most beautiful area in Texas.... so my suggestion is to fly into Bush intercontinental airport (Houston, also known as IAH) and drive to Austin. May take a little longer, but the airport is easy to navigate in and out of.

Heck, if you decide to go this route I might could even let you ride with me. Save you the second flight and a car cost. Smiley Very Happy

Let me know. Would be nice to have company on the drive.

Message 13 of 25
(5,179 Views)
As one who has made the drive from Austin to Houston and return during the NIWeek time frame as well as when I was down in Houston on business (driving to Austin to see family on the weekends), it can be a miserable time, depending on when you hit each end of the trip. Houston has some really bad "rush hour" traffic, as does Austin. Additionally, most of the hotels in downtown Austin charge for parking, the Omni being around $14/day. There is a lot to do within walking distance of the downtown hotels, so you have to decide whether the convenience of having a car the most likely will sit in a garage for most of the time, at the rental price + parking, is worth it. As to Altenbach's comment about checking on free internet, the Omni also charges for that (like $9/day!) except for their Omni select customers. It turned out that all you needed to do to get that status was to go to their web sit before the trip and register. It means getting the occasional email advert, about their special deals, but I get something like 50+ spams already, so what is another one. And as a select (or whatever they called it) customer you got one of two morning newspapers delivered as well as coffee and juice, selected on a menu that you left on your door at night. Not bad! Don't know about the other hotels, stayed at my father's house in Northeast Austin or in a hotel in the suburbs on previous trips (this was my 6th NIWeek).
Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

Message 14 of 25
(5,142 Views)

@LV_Pro wrote:
As to Altenbach's comment about checking on free internet, the Omni also charges for that (like $9/day!) except for their Omni select customers. It turned out that all you needed to do to get that status was to go to their web sit before the trip and register.

Yes, I should have been more clear, forgot about that. Omni are good, they don't spam. The free select program also has other advantages, such as a complimentary morning beverage and newspaper, etc.

See: http://www.omnihotels.com/Home/SelectGuestProgram/MemberBenefits.aspx

(I did not like the evening turndown service, because they would turn the TV on and leave it on a soothing custom station with waterfalls and such. Not of much use when I come back at midnight after the event and the TV has been running for 6 hours in an empty room).

Message 15 of 25
(5,138 Views)
Tree Hugger!  Smiley Wink   They actually have a cable channel devoted to this soothing music, views of Yosemite. It is also a bit disconcerting the first time when you come back to the room and the TV is on and it wasn't when you left. The chocolates left on the night stand were nice though! I will try and get my boss' permission next year, citing the increased productivity!  It is one of those things (the TV on) that, multiplied by the number of "select" guests per week probably adds up to a number of kilowatt hours of wasted energy (including the A/C load trying to cool that room, tough enough in August!)

Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

Message 16 of 25
(5,125 Views)

As to the traffic comment:

I guess I just don't notice it anymore. I live here in Houston and I would imagine I am immune to it now Smiley Very Happy

I live approximatly 7 miles from work, and during rush out this is a 50 min drive.... The trip from Houston to Austin only takes 2.5 hours... it's like a gentle walk in the park in comparison.

The offer stands, if you wanna bum a ride with me from houston to austin, my gas, my paid parking... I would be more than happy to drop you off at any hotel and bring you back on the Friday after NIWeek. Once I park for the week, I won't even start my car until the week is over. There is plenty around the area to eat/entertain without a car. Hopefully this will save you a few hundred dollars and make the trip more appealing to whoever is signing your request.

I have stayed in the Raddisson and now the Courtyard. Courtyard had free internet but no breakfast (ate the free breakfast at the conference), Raddisson had a "SleepNumber" bed that I remember as some of the best sleep I have ever gotten. I'm shooting for the Hilton next year, it includes free internet, breakfast and a direct walk across the street to the convention center that also has free internet. I have knee problems, so the short walk is worth it to me... but if I have to go with a differnt hotel based on price, I will stay at the Radisson again, even if I have to pay for internet service (The hotel is much cheaper anyhow, so paying for internet balances with some of the other hotels)

Message 17 of 25
(5,121 Views)

The Radisson has free online access in the lobby, and is about a 10 minute walk from the convention center. It also has a great view to the Colorado, if you get the right room.

P.S. The Radisson is also right on top of the Congress Ave. bridge, which has the bats Christian mentioned. I went there on Thursday night and wasn't really impressed, but I already live in a place which has a large population of active bats and I might have caught a slow night.

@tst wrote:
I went there on Thursday night and wasn't really impressed, but I already live in a place which has a large population of active bats and I might have caught a slow night.

We had 3+ solid streams of bats flowing out for at least 30 minutes....

Message Edited by altenbach on 10-25-2007 11:40 AM

Message 19 of 25
(5,087 Views)
Holy bats..

that's quite the spectacle.

Reminds me of a field in South Jersey I used to have soccer practice at where I'm assuming the bats came to feast on the bugs that ate the nearby harvests.  Out of no where 100s of bats would fly over our practice...I'm thankful they weren't as active with there droppings as seagulls are Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 25
(5,072 Views)
Hi all,
   and thanks again!

For flight, I think I'll fly to a major city first, I suppose NY, for a couple of reasons: I can visit the city (I've never been!), I can stay 2/3 days (at least, I'll be on holydays!).  Another reason is price: it seems to be cheaper to fly to major intercontinental cities, say, for example, Paris-NY, rather than MI-Houston.  But cost is not the major issue, also because I know that flight to a major airport has a "cost" (caos, lost baggages, and other nice things...).

One more question: is bats show scheduled also for 2008? Smiley Happy

graziano
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 25
(3,282 Views)

Ever think of flying in to Philly or DC rather than NY? 

When it comes to major cities I know for a fact that New York tends to outweigh the others in terms of cost for all things, or so it seemed in my numerous trips to the Big Apple.

Just trying to be a help seeing as how I'm from the area and have ventured to all of these cities.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 25
(3,270 Views)
I hope to see you there next year. They (NI) usually set up a LabVIEW Zone, with couches to sit on and visit with your friends. They also have wifi in the convention center, some years it has worked better than others, so if you want to drag a laptop around it should work on the 'net. They also set up an internet cafe, but there is usually a wait to get at a computer.

The bats are every year from spring until late fall. They are migratory, leaving on the first really cold "norther" (big storm from the north), riding the winds to warmer Mexico. It is the largest urban population of bats, and Austin is riding on the popularity of them (I was going to say riding on their tails, but they are Mexican free-tailed bats, so not much tail to ride on). Get there in the late afternoon, but before the sun is too low, and they come out in streams of thousands to go off and eat tons of insects. The other reason to get there a little early is that if you are driving the parking becomes difficult to find.

Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 25
(3,266 Views)

@Graziano wrote:

One more question: is bats show scheduled also for 2008? Smiley Happy

The bats are a "natural" occurance in a man-made structure. They have been there and should be there for many years.
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 25
(3,265 Views)
Also, August is the best time of year to see the bats - it's still light enough that you can see them against the sky.  Check out Bat Conservation International for more information about the bats!
Message 25 of 25
(3,257 Views)