Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 motor control via joystick in an underwater ROV

I have a term project.I am doing an underwater ROV with labjack U3 using Labview.I do not know how to control 2 motors with one joystick.It is too complicated.I need help.??
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,037 Views)

ERTUGRUL,

what kind of hardware are you using to control the motors and what deployment platform are you using for your application (e. g. PC, cRIO, PXI,...).

Thanks,

Jochen Klier

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,019 Views)
i am using -labjackU3- to control.I will use laptop to control the ROV via joystick.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,016 Views)

I'm wondering a bit how you would use a USB data acquisition device for motion control, but as long as long as you don't use this for closed loop control it could be ok.

But anyway. Here are some links to example that might help you. As you could imagine NI doesn't provide examples for labjack products, but you should be able to adapt the examples to your hardware:

Joystick Inputs with DAQ Card Outputs

Motion Control with USB Joystick

For more example code and tutorials please search ni.com for "joystick LabVIEW"

Kind regards,

Jochen

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,012 Views)

I don't see a problem with closed loop control.  You measure things, and adjust your output accordingly.

Is this a basic potentiometer type joystick?  If so, excite it with a DAC (analog output) set to perhaps ~2.4 volts.  Then if you measure excitation voltage and output signal(s), you can determine the joystick ratio(s).

What type of motors do you have?  Do you have a motor controller or driver of any sort, and what type of control signal does it take?  Do you have feedback of desired information from the motors (position, speed), or do you not need feedback?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,005 Views)

My concerns about closed loop control are related to deterministic closed loop control with loop timings in the ms- or even µs-range. This type of control requires accurate loop timing with low jitter which can't be provided by a non-deterministic operating system like Windows. USB with high first byte latencies makes things even worse.

E. g. in case of a PID controller stable loop timing is at least as important as properly tuned PID parameters.

Jochen

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,994 Views)

Agreed.  I don't see a problem with closed loop control in general, but if the system can't tolerate jitter of up to a few milliseconds then a Windows/USB solution is likely to have problems.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,984 Views)