Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error -70217 when trying to run NI SoftMotion/SolidWorks

I'm trying to play with setting up NI SoftMotion and SolidWorks to control a very basic motion application.  I am getting the above error when I click "execute."  The example programs run fine, so I am faily confident I'm missing something really easy.  The error is an NI Motion error indicating a required resource is in a fault state.  Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(9,403 Views)

Usually this is caused by a motion control command that caused the axis to go into a fault protection mode. Here are some debugging suggestions:

- Make sure the the SolidWorks Motion is active, navigate in SolidWorks to Tools->Add Ins and mark the check boxes on the left and the right of the SolidWorks Motion item.

-  In the LabVIEW project, right-click on My Computer and got to Properties. Then go to the Scan Engine tab and make sure the box is checked next to Start Scan Engine on Deploy. You may also want to set the Scan Period to 10 ms if it's not already. If the value is above 5 ms, you'll get a warning message when you deploy but this is usually just fine for simulation with SolidWorks. 

-  Individually select each of the motion axes in your project and do the following: Select Properties and then click on the left-most button to configure the Axis Setup. Make sure the box is checked for Enable Drive on Transition to Active Mode.

-  Now select all of the motion items (including My Computer) in the LabVIEW Project, right-click and select Deploy. Normally, since this is your first deployment it will start the SolidWorks simulation running and so your are ready to run the LabVIEW shipping example. If not, right-click on My Computer and select Utilities>Scan Engine Mode>Switch to Active.

- Once you are in active mode and the simulation is running, right-click on the motion axis and go to the Interactive Test Panel. This should show you that the axis is enabled and there are no faults or errors. When you are finished, close the test panel and run your LabVIEW motion control application. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(9,400 Views)

I found a way to reproduce this error is to stop the Motion Study in SolidWorks. I have already addressed this issue at R&D.

Here is a workaround:

1. Add a new NI SoftMotion Axis to the project (e. g. Axis 2)
  2. Delete the old axis
  3. Set "Enable Drive on Transition to Active Mode" in the Axis Setup
  4. In the vi change the Motion Resource to Axis 2
  5. Deploy Axis 2
  6. The example should work fine again 

I hope this helps,

Jochen

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(9,219 Views)

I have a problem deploying the axis using one of my assemblies, the error than i get is "(Hex 0x80040423) The operation failed because of conflicts, in general", i upload 2 videos where i assembly the "Axis1-Across" of the example from zero, the first one is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCSErjd4IFc and the second one is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75cwPA4sjBw please check out my videos and tell me how i've done wrong. Thanks a lot.

Ing. Cuauhtemoc Luna

UNAM

Mexico City

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(8,883 Views)

I have the same problem here.

(Hex 0x80040423) The operation failed because of conflicts, in general

Someone know how to solve it?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(8,705 Views)

Hi friends.

Finally i get it!

I only get updates for my software. The Labview 2009 SP1 and the softmotion 2009 SP1 and thats all, everything works now in solidworks 2009 and 2010. The updates can be download in the NI web page. I hope than this information be useful for you. Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(8,687 Views)
Folks, Just to confirm the above fix, installing 2009 SP1 for both LabVIEW and SoftMotion sorts this problem out. I was being directed to download LabVIEW 2010 rather than 2009 SP1 when I followed the link for Western Europe etc., but by following the other link you can still get 2009 SP1. 2010 may have worked fine too, but I have a thesis to hand in at the end of the month so I'm paranoid about changing anything!
Message 7 of 9
(8,338 Views)

Does anyone have any ideas for similar solutions for LabVIEW 2016? I'm running into a similar problem. Please see my forum post https://forums.ni.com/t5/Motion-Control-and-Motor-Drives/Error-70217-softMotion-cRio-Axis-a-required....

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,814 Views)

Hi aphilipps,

I recently tried this tutorial and it worked on LabVIEW 2016 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q21IxELwGhQ.

If this doesn't throw the error, you need to debug your code and extrapolate the configuration to your application. 

There is, though, a bug found in the interface with SolidWorks. If you are moving a rotatory motor eventually fails to converge and the only possible workaround is to use a linear motor instead of a rotary motor.

Regards,

PedroR

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,802 Views)