From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown graph cursor tool

I'm hoping someone can identify a graph "tool" that's interfering with my LabVIEW program.  It's not on the normal graph palette and I can't find reference to it anywhere.  It activates seemingly on its own during runtime, and sticks around if I abort execution (its behavior appears to be coded into the graph itself).  I wasn't able to take a good screenshot of what the pointer looks like when the tool is active, so I've included a scaled-up drawing below (pointer is the black/white parts).

LV Graph Mouse Pointer.png

Some additional details:

- It usually activates when the mouse point hovers over one of the cursors on my XY graph (but only under certain conditions that are not 100% reproducible).  The graph cursors are free dragging, and the tool has only activated when I had more than 1 plot on the XY graph.

- If I click on a graph cursor when this tool is active and drag in either the +/- Y direction, the Y scale min/max values change to seemingly random values and the Y scale begins scrolling up.  Nothing happens if I move the cursor in purely the +/- X direction.

Much thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,436 Views)

Hi UNC_DC,

1. Could you please provide a screenshot of your front panel and block diagram? 

2. Also, can you please try right clicking the graph (before runtime) and select Visible Items»Cursor Legend?  What do you see there? Can you please provide a screenshot of that legend as well?

Here is some additional information on graph cursors:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lvhowto/adding_cursors_to_graphs/

Regards,

Devon R.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

ni.com/support

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,365 Views)

Hi Devon,

Unfortunately a screenshot of the block diagram wouldn't be sufficient (it's too big, and most of the code is in an event loop with many cases).  I can email you the entire VI though along with some data files to test it with (I didn't see an option to attach files through a private message).

There is nothing unusual about the cursor legend, and interacting with it doesn't change (or fix) the cursor state.

I recently learned something useful though: the mouse pointer (icon) in question is identical to the one that appears when dragging an annotation on the graph (or just hovering the mouse pointer over it).  However, the cursor state issue exists even when the graph has no annotations on it.

I'm fairly certain this is a bug.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,342 Views)

If you can attach your code that would definitely help us troubleshoot this issue.  In the meantime, can you please take a look at this KnowledgeBase Article on removing cursors from a graph?:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/A6A7106671C65819862568E8007E0594?OpenDocument

Devon R.

Application Engineer

National Instrument

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,316 Views)

Okay, I've been able to reproduce the problem consistently in a much simpler VI (attached).  It only contains is a single XY graph, with no code on the block diagram.  There's some data saved on the graph, and I put a bunch of cursors on it.  When I follow the steps below, I've been able to reproduce the issue 100% of the time.

I should note that I'm using LabVIEW 2014 Professional (64 bit) on Windows 7.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,281 Views)

I've resaved the VI for LabVIEW 2009 (attached).  I'm not sure if the issue will exist in previous versions of LabVIEW though...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,275 Views)

I tried zooming back and forth and could not reproduce it in LV 2012 32-bit on win7 64-bit. It always stayed the standard one, no matter how much I zoomed in

(3,253 Views)

Thanks for your input jeanlucpicard - I decided to try running the VI on a couple more computers here.  Two computers running LV 2014 64-bit both had this issue, but on another machine with LV 2012 64-bit I could not reproduce the problem after many attempts.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(3,243 Views)

LV2014, 64-bit on Mac OS X 10.9.5. I do not see the effect.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,231 Views)

The bug has been confirmed by NI and is being tracked under CAR 403563.

Thanks to all for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(3,135 Views)

I recently converted a large LV11 project to LV14 and have discovered the same problem on a XY graph with multiple cursors.  Has this bug been resolved and is the fix in a recent LV14 Service Pack?  I see the CAR 403563 on this but don't know how to track CAR status.  I cannot release a new LV14 executable to my customers with this bug in it.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(432 Views)

Hi dkl,

Unfortunately, this CAR has not yet been fixed. Please feel free to check the Bug Fixes list for future software releases to see if it has been resolved.

Julia P.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(403 Views)

Thanks Julia, sorry to hear it's unresolved.  And thanks for the bug fixes link too.  I'll be checking there but til then I'm forced to go back to LV11.

Dean...

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(392 Views)