From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI DAQ USB 6008 is not detected

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everyone, 

I am using NI DAQ USB 6008 for my project, and I've been using it on my own computer (Windows 10) which work perfectly fine. Since I need to control a stepper motor I have to use another lab computer (Windows XP), but it can't detect the device and I don't know how to solve the problem. 

• I use LabVIEW 2015 on the lab computer (what I can see, this is the latest version for Windows XP).
  • Installed the driver, NI DAQmx 15.5.1 (also works with Windows XP). During the installation, I got a warning message saying "The software you are installing for this hardware: “hardware name” has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP”. But then I just continue the installation. 

when I plug in the cable:

• the computer detects a new hardware when it continues to search for an update, it keeps on searching for a very long time and nothing happens. 
  • in device manager, it looks like the picture "daq_device manager". 
  • in NI max it looks like the picture "daq_NImax". 

Someone who recognize the problem or know how to solve this?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(6,586 Views)

You appear to be missing all your DAQmx devices - unless you have no other devices connected.

Try Tools>Reset Configuration Data

this will reset your MAX configuration data and sorts out 90% of issues with problems that I have had similar to that.

James

CLD; LabVIEW since 8.0, Currently have LabVIEW 2015 SP1, 2018SP1 & 2020 installed
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(6,548 Views)

Hi parny88,

Are you using Windows XP with service pack 3? You must have SP3 installed to use the DAQmx drivers with XP. Also, your device is not showing up in NI-MAX, which makes me suspect this is an OS related issue.

My guess is that the warning message you are seeing when you install the drivers is warning you that your OS is not compatible with the drivers. Consequently, the drivers don't work.

Duncan W.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(6,525 Views)

Hi James, 

I tried to reset config data and now all the devices that are not connected disappeared and are only showing the device I want to use (USB 6008). But I can still not use the device, for example, I can't right-click and do the self-test. The status is still the same as before:

1. found new hardware, but it keeps on searching.
  2. in Labview, using DAQ assistant it looks like the picture (daq assistant).
  3. same status in the device manager. 

//Pamela

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(6,514 Views)

Hi Duncan, 

It has service pack 3. 

//Pamela

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(6,512 Views)

Hi Pamela,

I would suggest that your driver installation is probably corrupted.

What concerns me is that the driver popped up as unsigned - I've never had that from NI.

The best thing for you to do now is probably to uninstall the NI DAQmx drivers and try re-installing them from a good, safe, known source.

It may be that you should open a service request with NI, create a MAX report (File>Create Report > Technical support report) and send it with the service request to the assigned helper - unless Duncan is able to help?

This should then allow NI to find any irregularities in the installation.

They do have some special tools for fixing corrupt installations - this might be one of those cases

James

CLD; LabVIEW since 8.0, Currently have LabVIEW 2015 SP1, 2018SP1 & 2020 installed
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(6,506 Views)

Hi James,

I've been installing the driver from the NI webpage, http://search.ni.com/nisearch/app/main/p/bot/no/ap/tech/lang/sv/pg/1/sn/catnav:du,n19:Windows.WINXP,...

And I downloaded the version (15.5.1) that should be compatible with Windows XP sp3, according to the table I found on the webpage as well (see attached picture). 

I've uninstalled the driver now, and I will install it again as you said and see what happens. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(6,501 Views)

Hi Pamela,

Just have a quick sanity check in NI MAX for your own benefit that the version number and that the DAQmx version is not higher due to someone having installed a newer version by accident.

Looks like your doing all the right things.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(6,496 Views)

Hi James, 

I installed the driver all over again but still have the same problem. Although, it is now showing in the NI max that Windows do not have a driver associated with my device (see picture). I also attached information about the system. 

For NI Max, the version is 15.3.0f0.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(6,491 Views)

Hi Pamela,

While looking through the DAQmx 15.5.1 Readme, I was able to find a note about Windows XP needing a hotfix to use USB DAQ devices, such as the 6008.

You can find the hotfix here. I would recommend giving that a try if you have not already.

Duncan W.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(6,470 Views)

Hi Duncan, 

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried that now, but the problem is still the same as before unfortunately. 

//Pamela

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(1,302 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author 50616d656c61

Hmm this is a strange problem. I was able to find another instance of this issue occurring in this archived KB. It seems you can assign a driver to your device manually and may need to if Windows does not recognize the DAQmx drivers as being signed drivers. Based on what you have described, I feel pretty confident that this issue is between the OS and the drivers so I would recommend looking through all of the available documentation on Windows/DAQmx compatibility issues.

Duncan W.

Message 12 of 13
(1,298 Views)

Hi Duncan, 

Thank you SO much. I assigned the driver manually to the device and now it works. 

Thank you, both of you, for spending time helping me. 

//Pamela

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(1,295 Views)