LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP 4192A SubVI outputting zero

Hello Guys,

I have a simple VI that collects temperature values from a thermocouple and capacitance values from an HP 4192A multi-meter. The VI works well most of the time except for this occurrence where the capacitance values are zero. I know its a software issue because when this has happened and I'm around in the lab I can see that the values on the multi-meter display are nonzero. I have tried digging down deeper and deeper into the Sub VI's in debug mode when this is happening but I cant find the source of the error. Is anyone familiar with this issue? I have also included a screenshot of  the occurrence.

PS The main VI in under the name " Luis two Thermocouple"

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,430 Views)

Is there an error in the communication with the device that is causing the subVI to return the default value of zero?  I don't see any error handling in your VI or with that HP subVI.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,414 Views)

Sorry for such a late reply ( My time in the lab was over taken by another project) I recently came back to this. It was suggested that I switch to a newer version of that driver. Which I did, and that resolved the issue! simple fix even though for the most part the old driver seemed to work fine.

Best!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,174 Views)

Hello!

I downloaded a HP 4192a driver from the NI website but it looks like doesn't work. I use GPIB to connect the Analyzer and PC, and test it from NI MAX. It showed there were some input and output signals. And the lights "SRQ" and "REMOTE" of the Instrument were all on. But when I used the "example.vi", the data of Display A and Display B could not be showed in the indicator of Labview.

Could you hlep me and many thanks....

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,079 Views)

@LaufenMann_Li wrote:

Hello!

I downloaded a HP 4192a driver from the NI website but it looks like doesn't work. I use GPIB to connect the Analyzer and PC, and test it from NI MAX. It showed there were some input and output signals. And the lights "SRQ" and "REMOTE" of the Instrument were all on. But when I used the "example.vi", the data of Display A and Display B could not be showed in the indicator of Labview.

Could you hlep me and many thanks....

Hey! I will do my best! but first could you tell me if any error messages appear? What exactly is the output when you try to run the v.i? Also, I recommend looking under the hood of the example v.i., maybe a component other than the driver sub v.i. is causing the issue. I will be in the lab later today and upload the driver I am using on my machine. 

Best,

Zocv  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,070 Views)

Ok, I see the picture you posted, the issue looks very similar to mine. I attached the Driver VI that I used to resolve my issue. I went into the LabView Library and replaced the old driver with this guy. I really hope this helps you!

Zocv 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,066 Views)

Hi, there!

Thank you first for your upcoming upload!  

There are only 3 warnings(3 Reload paths) but no error message when I run the "example.v.i". Output(Impedance) was always zero. (You can see that diagram in the image.) And actually, I didn't understand well, what's the component other than the driver sub v.i. mean? 

Best wishes

Li

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,064 Views)

Hi,

Today I went to the lab and tried to replace this measure.vi into the LabVIEW Library. But it still didn't work.

Did you just deleted 2 cases of this sequence structure but nothing else?

It seems still shows zero output...:(

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,044 Views)

No, I just kept the measure.vi as it was and integrated it into my Main VI. I would try running the Measure.vi I uploaded by it self, and get a single measurement. If the Measure.vi I uploaded doesn't work then I have no further advice. ONLY other thing I can think of is that maybe the firmware on your HP meter is not compatable with this vi that you're trying to use. I had a similar issue with a lock-in amplifier a while ago. The Lock-in's firmware hadn't been updated since the late 80's and no drivers I used worked until I updated the firmware. I doubt this is what your issue is though. 

Best

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,021 Views)

Sorry for my late reply. I have tried swap your measure.vi into the HP driver that I downloaded from NI website, but unfortunately it still didn't work. Do you connect this meter with GPIB or something else?Which version of LabVIEW are you using? Btw I'm now using LabVIEW 2014 and the driver version is 8.0.

Another question is: How to check my firmware if it needs to be updated?

And where can I find this update software?

Thank you again! 

Best wishes

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,009 Views)

I can see from your screenshot that you are using a german LabVIEW. Goto Tools->Options and remove the option "Use localized decimal point". Most instrument drivers are not adapted for a comma as a decimal point.

Regards, Jens

Kudos are welcome...
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 11
(175 Views)