LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measurement and Automation Explorer Password

Hello,

The question is can I set up a password in Measurement and Automation explorer to restrict the ability to edit custom configuration.

Details on my situation:

I have a windows based system. Will be shipping it to a customer to work though an executable built in LabVIEW. However a lot of DAQmx scales and tasks are set though MAX on this system, and there is a concern that someone could access those scales directly from MAX altering the systems behavior.

The customer has asked if it's possible to set password protection on MAX so that unauthorized people won't mess around with the configuration.

This is not a remote system, the windows machine is directly connected to the PXI chassis.

Thanks for any advice,

Maciej

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,660 Views)

I don't know how to do that in MAX or if it's even possible.

Have you considered setting the permissions on the MAX executable to admin access only?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,636 Views)

What I gathered is that this is probably a feature that does not exist.

The problem is that the default user that the windows boots with is an administrator already.

PC doesn't belong to my company but the third party, that has set this up this way already and this is how they set up all their machines.

Thanks for the tip. Maybe I should dig deeper in that direction and try to use windows features to prevent access this will require help on the customer side though.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,617 Views)

I just thought of an alternative. You could have an application that runs at startup, polling for NIMax.exe, killing it whenever it appears in Windows' process list. It could be disabled with a custom password.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,608 Views)

Have the application do a checksum on the config files.  If they don't match, you can't run the test.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,586 Views)