From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB/TNT PnP DOS Installation Issue

I have a AT-GPIB/TNT PnP board that I am trying to install on a DOS computer.  I am using the latest NI488.2 software for DOS.

On bootup, the GPIB software drivers install properly, but the interface cannot be found.  When I run ibdiag it detects the correct board but then I get errors saying :

1. Make sure the GPIB cables are disconnected.
2. The base address does not match the address in the ni-pnp.ini file. 
3. Another board or device is using the same address space. Try using a different I/O address and run the hardware diagnostic program.

I don't have any cables connected ot the card.  The base address (as set using ibconf.exe) does match the address settings in the ni-pnp.ini file.  I have tried every possible base address with the IRQ and DMA turned off just to make sure that these were not in conflict.  I have tried other ISA slots in the computer.  I have disabled other on-board devices in the BIOS to prevent potential conflicts.  I have a PCI IO board also in the system.  But I have tried changing the addresses with and without this board installed.

Based on the errors, it feels like the address settings may not be making it to the card properly, so that there is an address mismatch between what the computer/driver thinks is installed and what the card thinks it's address actually is.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,650 Views)

Hello skykelly,

This is a very old device and I'm not too familure with DOS, however, we do have a couple Knowledge Bases about this.  Here and here are two of them.  Hopefully these can help out a bit.

Jesse S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,620 Views)

Jesse,

Thanks for the reply.  

I followed one of the links and read the following (I highlighted the critical portions in bold/underline):

If ibdiag completes with no errors, your hardware is functioning properly. If ibdiag returns an error message, go back to the previous step and reconfigure the board to not use a DMA channel or an IRQ. Then shut down the computer, remove the IRQ, DACK, and DRQ jumpers, and boot up again. Rerun the hardware diagnostic test. At this point only the board's base I/O address is being tested. If the diagnostic continues to fail, then there are only three possible reasons:

1. The Base I/O Address selected has a conflict with another hardware component in your computer. You should try other addresses, being certain to modify the DIP switches and ibconf settings each time.
  2. The Base I/O Address selected in ibconf is not a legal address. If using a Non-Plug and Play board, the Base I/O Address selected in ibconf does not match the DIP switch settings on the board. Sometimes users accidentally set the switches exactly opposite of what they should be. Be certain that you are following the switch diagram given in ibconf correctly.
    Note: The AT-GPIB/TNT (PnP) and AT-GPIB/TNT+ have valid address ranges of 0x0100 to 0x03E0 in increments of 0x20 bytes.
  3. The board has been damaged and needs repair. Call National Instruments if you feel this is the case.

I worked the drill as described and I believe that the hardware is not working properly.  I will call NI.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,612 Views)