Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI GPIB USB HS information required.

Hi Experts,

We are trying to connect 2 Rohde & Schwarz signal generators and a R &S power meter to our laptop using NI GPIB USB HS cables. can anybody explain how to do it. we have already downloaded NI-488.2  we tried using Agilent GPIB cables and Agilent I/O suite but couldnt succeed to interface it to the MATLAB instrument control toolbox. Is it possible with NI GPIB USB HS cables?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(10,108 Views)
With a single USB GPIB HS and a couple of cables from any vendor connected in a star or daisy chain, all three instruments should appear in MAX when you do a scan for instruments.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(10,085 Views)

This may come off as rude, but the problem with online blogs and knowledge bases is when people are looking for help & answers, they are met with useless feedback.

I'm having a similar issue, the IEEE488 to USB converter is installed and seems to be working, and my instruments do not detect the interface as they did with the NI PCI IEEE488  card we are replacing.

Yes, they should appear, they sh ould be detected, but the problem is that they aren't.  The questions is, how to fix it?

I'm running Windoze 7, trying to install our old Solartron 1296/1260 system.  The old PCI card and cable array were creating too much problems, and Amtek suggested replacing with the USB interface.  Done.  Now what?  Have attempted 3 computers so far (and tried the PCI card on all three, swapped cables, updated drivers etc etc... ) I think it may be the S.M.A.R.T. software maybe, not sure, which is why I'm also here.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(6,620 Views)

The install process is straightforward.  Install the NI-GPIB and NI-VISA drivers, usually installed during the  LabVIEW install.  Reboot.  Plug in your USB-GPIB-HS and it should auto-detect and away you go.

Now, if you plugged the USB-GPIB-HS in before installing the drivers you might have to go to the WIndows Hardware manager and look under the USB settings for devices with a red X, meaning no drivers found.  Remove those, install drivers, reboot, plug in device and it should auto detect. 

@John_PhD wrote:

This may come off as rude, but the problem with online blogs and knowledge bases is when people are looking for help & answers, they are met with useless feedback.

Usually poor questions lead to poor feedback.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(6,618 Views)