Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2410 and 2651A trigger

Hello,

I am rather clueless and new to trigger concept for coding for Keithley instruments.. I wanted to develop a simple code that can send trigger signals between two instruments: 2410 and 2651 A. Only connection between them are GPIB cable. I tried different methods trying to send trigger signals from 2410 to 2651A and 2651A to 2410 but they seems not communicate with each other.. I do see Trigger-link in 2410 and TSP-link in 2651A as option for hardware connection. I saw Trigger-link and TSP-link in toolkit as one of options but I don't see any GPIB-related options or am I missing something? Do I have to use hardware connection? If so then 2410 and 2651A aren't compatible because of two different type of connections.. I saw suggestion of 8205 box but it went obsolete. 

If you have any links or have any simple code to allow two instruments to communicate with each other via triggering via GPIB. I would appreciate that.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,525 Views)

I would suggest you contact Keithley.

I don't know of anything in GPIB which allows to non-controllers to "communicate" with each other.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,522 Views)
Hi
Gpib is the bus in which you send commands to the intruments and reads data from the intruments. Triggerlink and tsp link are the hardware wires to send and receive trigersignals.
Via the commands on gpib you can program the intruments to use the hardware lines. This involves setting several registers in the instruments via the gpib bus.
It is all defined in the programming manual.
greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,506 Views)

Ah ok. So it's possible to send triggers over on GPIB then? I was trying to use any high level toolkits for trigger over GPIB without any luck. I assume that it's possible to do it by using VISA commands only that I'm not good at yet..

I just read that trigger cable will sync timing on everything alot easier so I think I better just get cable/controller box for current project and future projects.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,494 Views)
The only way to send a trigger over the bus is via *trig .
That command does in fact a software trigger.
You also can trigger both instruments via GET (group execute trigger).
But you really should read some more in the manual and about trigerlink and tsplink.
greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,484 Views)