Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

power supply RFPP RF20

Hello

I have a problem with a RS232 interface connection. I want to control a power supply from the company RFPP and the typ is RF 20 (see the manual in the attachment).

For the first test I used the programm "coolterm" to send the commands to the power suppy. That works very well. I am sure that there is no problem with the cable or the connection between the computer and the power supply.

Now i want to send the commands via a LabView VI. It is the first time I use LabView to control a serial port. I watched some tutorials read some forum reports, but i can't figure out which the problems are.

In the attachment i uploaded some picture which compare the COM settings between the coolterm program and LabView. I tried to send some commands via the MAX VISA test panel, but i didn't get any response.

One error message i get is:

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF001D) The specified attribute is not defined or supported by the referenced resource.

I hope you can help me

Best regards

Mario

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,053 Views)

You did not attach your LabVIEW program or the commands you are sending in MAX so no one can tell what you are doing incorrectly. The configuration screen for MAX does not show everything and does not show you setting a termination character for a write unlike what you have done with coolterm. The instrument needs that so unless your program is different, that would be one reason that it does not work.

And, unless you specify where and when you are getting that error, it is also impossible to say why it occurs.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,041 Views)

In the attachment i summarized all the settings from Coolterm and LabView. In LabView I used the " advanced serial write and read.vi" because i think it make no difference if i use the MAX serial test panel or the LabView software.

Please correct me if  I am wrong.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,028 Views)

You still don't have the write configured to send a termination character and you are not sending the correct character in MAX. You do not send a carriage return by sending the acscii characters <,C,R,and >. You need to append \r for carriage return or \n for line feed.

It does make a difference whether you use MAX or LabVIEW but since you still have not posted your code or the image of the front panel, I have no idea what you did incorrectly there.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,020 Views)

Thank you Dennis Knutson. I set the termination character to carriage return \r and the programm work.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,016 Views)

Hi Mario, I came across this (very) old topic as I'm currently trying to communicate with a very similar RFPP RF20 RF Generator. Hoping you might receive this message and if so might be willing to help me out with a couple basic questions about establishing serial/RS232 communication with the unit I'm working on. Thanks in advance,

Jason

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,395 Views)