From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to control Network Analyzer via Ethernet?

Hi, I need to control my network analyzer.

I did it by using GPIB and by connecting directly the network to my PC.

Now, instead, I have NOT GPIB, but I have seen that my network analyzer has two ethernet ports.

My question is:

1) Is it possible to control the network analyzer by using ethernet?

If YES:

2) Can I connect my network analyzer to my local network and control it by PC in the same network?

3) The only problem can be the distance between my network analyzer and network port on the wall (probably it is needed a very long cable and I have to built it). In this case can I connect my network analyzer to my PC by using an ethernet cable?

4) I know that there are two different cables: straight ethernet cable and cross ethernet cable. What of these two I have to use?

If the direct ethernet connection is possible:

5) How can I test the connection?

6) How can I see my network analyzer in LabView?

Thank you so much,

Luana.

< The Quiter You Become, The More You Are Able To Hear >
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(4,934 Views)

You really should be asking those questions to the manufacturer.  We have no idea what instrument you have.  If you can talk to the instrument in any way, I'm sure you can get LabVIEW to work with it.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(4,916 Views)

The Network Analyzer is Rohde Schwarz ZVB. It is possible to find all informations. In particular I have the first in this page:

http://www.rohde-schwarz.com/en/product/zva-products_63492-9660.html

I have the manual, you can find it at this link:

http://www.rohde-schwarz.it/it/prodotti/test_and_measurement/network_analysis/ZVA-|-Manuali-|-22-|-741.html

but I didn't find useful informations (probably also because I have not experience in that field).

Since I suppose that it is possible to connect it via ethernet I have asked the question. I believe that if there is people who did the same can help me better than manufacturer. This is, also, the aim of the forum in general.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(4,911 Views)

Your first link is to the ZVA network analyzers.

Your second link doesn't work.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(4,903 Views)

Hi,

please have a look in chapter 6 of the manual: http://cdn.rohde-schwarz.com/dl_downloads/dl_common_library/dl_manuals/gb_1/ZVA_ZVB_ZVT_Operating.pd...

This should explain the usage of SCPI and remote control of the VNA in general.

How to get started with Labivew and Rohde & Schwarz instruments is outlined here: http://www.rohde-schwarz.com/en/driver/controlling-with-labview/controlling-rs-instruments-with-labv...

Futhermore the LabVIEW drivers and some getting started info is available here: http://www.rohde-schwarz.com/en/driver/zva/?

Hope this helps for now?

br j.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(4,902 Views)

Thanks nyc.

The second link is divided in two parts, but if you copy it and paste... it works. Try by clicking HERE.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(4,893 Views)

Thanks juergenstraub.

I read the chapter 6 before my post. In my post there are 6 specific questions that I have not solved by reading the chapter 6. I have not GPIB. I have the common cable to connect a PC to router (I have the straight one and the cross one). It seems that there is no topic about the possibility to connect directly the Network Analyzer directly to PC via ethernet. Plese give me an advice if I fall in error,

thanks again,

Luana.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(4,890 Views)

@SweetLuana wrote:

It seems that there is no topic about the possibility to connect directly the Network Analyzer directly to PC via ethernet.

From that Chapter 6 in the manual

Remote Control: Introduction
The instrument is equipped with different interfaces for remote control:
• A GPIB bus interface according to standard IEC 625.1/IEEE 488.1. The GPIB bus connector for
control of the analyzer from a controller is located on the rear panel of the instrument.
• Analyzers connected to a Local Area Network can be controlled via the RSIB or VXI-11 protocols.
Two connectors for LAN connection are located on the rear panel. A VISA installation on the
controller is required.
• The network analyzer can itself act as a master and control external devices (e.g. power meters,
generators) via LAN, USB, or GPIB interface. A VISA installation on the analyzer is required for
this remote control type.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(4,883 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(4,879 Views)

Thanks nyc and juergenstraub.

I read that lines 😉 And I read, before you will write,  the Remote Operation in a LAN on the Quick Start Guide (pag. 26 to 31). Remember that for me it is the first time: I have NO experience.

I don't find information about the cable that I have to use:

if I want to connect my PC to Network analyzer is it necessary straight ethernet cable? Or cross cable?

I will try to create a LAN between Network Analyzer and my PC...

As soon I have this information... I will start... and I hope that all will be fine 😉

Thanks

Luana.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(4,871 Views)
Typically, you use a cross-over cable when connecting a pc to a network device and a straight through when you connect to a hub/switch.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(1,157 Views)

Hi All.

I posted my NEW question in the LABVIEW Forum, but, probably, it was the wrong place, sorry.

This is the link of new question:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Good-Communication-but-Error-in-Example-Manufacturer-VI/td-p/2259014

Can you give me same advices?

Thanks in advance,

Luana.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(1,145 Views)

@SweetLuana wrote:

Hi All.

I posted my NEW question in the LABVIEW Forum, but, probably, it was the wrong place, sorry.

This is the link of new question:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Good-Communication-but-Error-in-Example-Manufacturer-VI/td-p/2259014

Can you give me same advices?

Thanks in advance,

Luana.

Don't spam the message boards.

Since you started a new post on the LabVIEW board stay with that post!

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(1,141 Views)

Sure nyc.

After my post I thought that, probably, was the bad place, but I was NOT able to change the forum.

If you can put my question in the "Instrument Control" forum please.

Thanks,

Luana.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(1,133 Views)

@SweetLuana wrote:

Sure @nyc_(is_out_of_here).

After my post I thought that, probably, was the bad place, but I was NOT able to change the forum.

If you can put my question in the "Instrument Control" forum please.

Thanks,

Luana.

Your question is being answered very nicely in the LabVIEW forum.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(1,128 Views)

Sweat Luana programming the Network Analyzer in TCP/IP vs GPIB is no different if using the VISA control enviroment. If you click to pull down the instrument control with the Network Analyzer connected with the right TCP/IP connection (see note about hub or cross over connection) then if the TCP/IP address comes up, select it instead of the GPIB address. Nothing else in the VISA driver has to change. Whether you control and code with GPIB or TCP/IP the action will be the same. The power of the VISA connection and drivers. I used this feature many times to connect GPIUB or TCP/IP.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(1,120 Views)