Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really simple (hopefully) question about GPIB-USB-HS

Solved!
Go to solution

I've been trying to reconnect a GPIB-USB-HS to a network analyzer through an off-the-shelf HP PC. Before removing the GPIB-USB-HS from the system about a week or so ago, the network analyzer (a vintage 1989 HP 8720 Vector Network Analyzer) had worked beautifully with the GPIB unit. Now that I have reconnected the GPIB unit to the network analyzer, Measurement and Automation does not seem to be able to detect the network analyzer.

My question is this: if my GPIB-USB-HS shows up in Measurement and Automation, and it passes the NI-488.2 Troubleshooting Utility's HW and SW tests, would it be safe for me to assume that whatever connection problems I may have are with the network analyzer rather than with the GPIB-USB-HS itself?

Thank you,

Armando83

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,021 Views)
In general, I agree with your assumption. There could be a fault with the instrument or with the cable. Its possible the connector on the controller could be damaged, though. If you have a another instrument and cable, you should be able to quickly isolate the problem.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,010 Views)

Just connected another GPIB-USB-HS to the network analyzer and got the same results.

I made a point of visually examining the contacts on both GPIB-USB-HS units and on the network analyzer, and I couldn't see anything grossly wrong. I'm leaning towards something being off with the network analyzer.

What I'll do is continue messing around with the GPIB address settings on network analyzer until something works. I had a bit of luck last week when I did that, so sooner or later, I'll get this thing to work.

Thank you again, Dennis.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,999 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Armando83

I finally got the connection to work again. I just had to tighten the screws on the GPIB-USB-HS to make sure that it made a good connection to the network analyzer to get it to work.

Thank you again for your help, Dennis.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,961 Views)