Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i control a 3rd party stepper motor driver

I want to control a 3rd party stepper motor hardware driver througt labview.The company has given me a C program.Can somebody help.I'm new to labview.
Thanks in advance
Rajan
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,017 Views)
Hi Rajan,

The LabVIEW may be able to control the motor depends on the bus used for communication and what the C program does.

For example, if you connect to the motor using a simple bus, such as RS-232 (serial), then you could use LabVIEW to send the commands to the instrument. For this you need the motor's command set, which should be in the motor's documentation. You can also look into the C example program you were giving and determine if commands are being sent directly using the serial port.

Another way the manufacturer might provide conectivity is using a driver. In this case, the manufacturer provides you with a library of functions that reflect the functionality of the device. You don't need to worry about the specifics of the communication bu
s. You just call the functions from this library. In this case, you can use LabVIEW's Library Function Call Node, which allows you to call C functions in dlls.

If you can include more information on how the motor is connected to the instrument and what the C code does, I could probably provide more details.

DiegoF
National Instruments.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,017 Views)