Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E4407B Does not function with NI-GPIB-USB-HS

Solved!
Go to solution

My Agilent E4407B will not work with my NI-GPIB-USB-HS. I have tried two different Agilent E4407B's and 2 different NI-GPIB-USB-HS's so I doubt it is the individual devices. The E4407B will not show up under the measurement and automation explorer. I have tried fiddling with the assorted settings listed there, but to no effect. What do I need to set to get this to work? I talked to agilent's support and they claimed it was my NI-GPIB-USB-HS, not settings on the analyzer.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(16,927 Views)

What version of NI-488.2 are you using and what OS? Do you have any other GPIB instruments that you can test?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(16,910 Views)

I'm not too convinced the the Agilent equipment set-up is correct.  If NI-488.2 is installed and Max sees the controllers its possible that the gear is configured to communicate Ser- USB or Ethernet vice GBIP.  This setting can only be affected from the agilent front panel.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(16,879 Views)

I am using Windows XP with verson 4.6 of MAX. I believe my VISA is version 4.5.1. Everything works fine with a number of other instruments, including different models of Agilent instruments.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(16,853 Views)

Jeff,

That was my initial thought also, however Agilent's support said there should be no way to disable GPIB control of the instrument, or change anything with it beyond the address. Could it possibly be the settings in MAX for GPIB?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(16,852 Views)

If you can see the controller in MAX the controller is configured OK.  Check the system menu.  There is probably a license for the A4H option of the device.  make sure it's activated.  also in the system menu there is a sys:comm parameter to set the comm port to GPIB, Parralell or Rs-232. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(16,845 Views)

I had asked Agilent about the A4H license option on Friday, and they said it should not need to be activated and should just automatically work, but perhaps their engineer was wrong. Did you have to activate it on any other Agilent analyzers? All I see in the system menu is an option to change the GPIB adress not the actual port. Is it hidden somewhere, or is there some way to enter SCPI commands directly on the analyzer?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(16,842 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ngarneski

Never mind, I have figured it out. The NI-GPIB-USB-HS does not apperently make good contact with the GPIB port on the analyzer, even if it is screwed in all the way. I connected the adapter to a GPIB cable, and then the GPIB cable to the analyzer and it worked fine.

Message 8 of 9
(16,839 Views)

Hmmm You aren't the only one seeing this.

There is an intersting proviso in the Hardware Guide"at pg 1-3 pp2

"The GBIP-USB adaptor connects to MOST GBIP devices without requiring a GPIB cable.  " (emphasis added)

Message 9 of 9
(16,820 Views)