Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner : Instrment control of HP83640A and Data read from NI-PCI-6509

I need beginner assistance with LabView 2009 and Instrument control. 

Labview is installed OK with USB to GPIB interface working OK. I've downloaded the instrument drivers for HP83640A synthesized RF source (btw the  "project-style" driver throws up all sorts of errors when I try it, the other 'std plug and play' driver seems to run OK)

When i say runs OK, the examples seem to load up, I can connect to the HP83640A on address 19, and can talk to it with some of the modules.

What I don't understand is what to do with these example modules (vi's) to get the synth.sweeper to do what I need. How do I build the test system I require ?

This is what I need to do with Labview:-

Control the sweeper to increment in 5MHz steps from freqX to freqY. At each CW freq step (held for 1sec say) I need to make a reading of a 12bit logic code from my DUT.

I have purchased a NI-PCI-6509 digital I/O card, but need assistance also with the reading/storage of the TTL data from this card.

Can anyone advise on how to get started with this. Much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,307 Views)

You have several different issues.

• Project-style drivers "throwing up all sorts of errors": The most likely reason is that you did not place the driver in the <LabVIEW>/instr.lib directory.  
  • Control the sweeper: You need to generate a ramp of your frequencies and use the VI to set the frequency.
  • Using the PCI-6509 card: You would need to use DAQmx for this. If you do not have DAQmx you can download it from the NI site. During installation be sure to install the LabVIEW examples. Then, take a look at the examples as they show you how to read the card.
  • Overall program: Once you have the basic stuff down (like getting data and just controlling the sweeper) you should set up a simple LabVIEW program that is basically a loop that sets the frequency and reads the card. If you have not already done so you really should look over the LabVIEW training materials available at NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,293 Views)

Hello Sayaff,

Please go through the Instrument Driver Troubleshooting Guide.  Let us know if you find a specific bug in the instrument driver.

Thanks,

NathanT

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,251 Views)

and thanks for the pointers towards useful tutorials .... working my way thru them slowly.

It's clear there a little more goes into this than meets the eye.. !

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,225 Views)