Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB-ENET software checks out but labview doesn't see it

My GPIB-ENET appears to be properly installed from a hardware standpoint. The software for the HP700 is installed correctly and checks out with a ping to the IP or a ping to the alias and the software check ibtsta returns a no-error status. Now, how do I get a .vi to see either the alias, or dot IP or other, in order to open communication with the device. I am trying to talk to an HP oscilloscope and have downloaded the proper drivers and .vi's necessary to interface to the scope, but none can initiate communication.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,209 Views)
Once you have the ENET driver installed and the bus address setup to reference the GPIB-ENET, access to it would procede as with any other GPIb controller. That is, all of the networking and TCP calls are 100% transparent to the user.

For example, if I have a PCI-GPIB board installed as GPIB0 and I then add the GPIB-ENET as GPIB1, the only alterations to my code would be to the bus address. That is, if my code looks something like:
ud = ibfind("gpib0")
ibsre (ud, 1)
ibonl (ud, 0)

I would change it to :
ud = ibfind ("gpib1")
ibsre (ud, 1)
ibonl (ud,0)

The driver is able to distinguish that GPIB1 is mapped to the ENET and will make any appropriate TCP calls to drive the ENET's bus.

From LabVIEW, you can use any of the VISA or standard 488 function with the ENET as yo
u would with a standard interface.

As troubleshooting steps, make sure that you can communicate using IBIC (http://www.ni.com/support/gpib/max/ibic.exe), with VISAIC (nivisaic.exe) and using the LabVIEW examples. If IBIC does not work then there is either a configuration problem, a hardware problem, or a problem with your instrument. Make sure that you have all setting properly set and that you are terminating the communication correctly. It would help if you had a second instrument that you know works to test with as well. If IBIC works but VISA does not then you need to look at your VISA installation. If both of the interactive utilities work but LabVIEW does not, then you need to approach this from a general application problem versus a driver or hardware. Again, make sure things like termination and comand structure are properly developed for your instrument. Your best source for troubleshooting this are the IBIC utility and your instrument's manuals.

Ryan Mosley
National
Instruments, Applications Engineer
http://www.ni.com/exchange
Message 2 of 3
(3,209 Views)
I ran ibic.exe and was able to check out the connection just fine. I'm able now to talk to the oscilloscope and reset, etc. Now I need to invoke VISA and the VISA initialization is not working. It seems to not recognize the VISA open vi. So, I'll try everything I can from there. Thank you for your help with the GPIB recognition
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,209 Views)