Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stoplights.vi

dear all,
I am trying to open the example in "intro to ELVIS" file but somehow it is executable because some of the vis can not be found. Does it require installing any add-on toolkits? Or is it because the LabVIEW or ELVIS I installed are not working properly? Thank you very much for your help in advance!!
Jia
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(9,693 Views)

amisare,

The only thing you will need to have installed is the NI ELVIS 3.0 driver.  The VI’s that the examples are having trouble finding are located in

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Labview 8.x\instr.lib\NI ELVIS

If the ELVIS libraries are not located in this directory then you may have a bad install. 

Also, if you have more than one version of LabVIEW installed on your computer then the NI ELVIS libraries may have installed in another version.  For example I have LabVIEW 8.5 and 8.2 and my NI ELVIS driver is located in the LabVIEW 8.2 folder.  So double check to make sure you are using the correct version of LabVIEW. 

Ryan N
National Instruments
Application Engineer
ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(9,684 Views)
hi Ryan,
thank you for your reply.
But the problem seems to be still there. I can access to the instr.lib but there is no stoplights.vi. I got the stoplights.vi from the package of "intro to ELVIS". Is it supposed to be there right after the installation? I have removed and installed ELVIS 3.0.1 for several times but it does not help much. Is there any other possible reasons?
Thank you so much!
Best,
Jia
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(9,668 Views)
sorry, I think now I understant that stoplights.vi should not be in the instr.vi file. Instead all the sub VIs and other files should be in the ELVIS.vi right? But after I select the ELVIS.vi, it is still asking for several VIs about DAQmx. I have removed and reinstalled DAQ mx for several times too so it should be complete and executable. is there any other possible reason?
Thank you!
Best,
Jia
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(9,666 Views)

amisare,

You are correct.  The stoplight.vi is an example and uses the ELVIS driver.  The ELVIS driver is installed in the instr.lib directory.

1.  What DAQmx VI’s is LabVIEW asking for?
2.  Do you have multiple versions of LabVIEW?
3.  Did you encounter any errors when installing DAQmx?

4.  When reinstalling did you uninstall the DAQmx driver first?

If you perform a reinstall with the current driver still on your system then the installer will recognized that and it won’t over write any of the DAQmx driver files.  I hope this helps.

Message Edited by Ryan N. on 03-31-2008 10:55 AM
Ryan N
National Instruments
Application Engineer
ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(9,643 Views)
one "strange" yet good thing happened. the  stoplights.vi are running on the desktops without asking for other VIs. maybe it is because that they are connected with DAQ but my laptop is not?

But still one problem left. there is an error in the stoplights.vi.  it is showing "you have connected two terminals of different types, the type of the source is word[16-bit integer(-32768 to 32767)]", the type of the sink is DAQmx device". The example is supposed to run without any error right? So is it possible that there are still some problems with my DAQ device?

1.  What DAQmx VI’s is LabVIEW asking for?
it is asking for DAQmx read(Digital 1D U32 1chan Nsamp )
BTW, the DAQ i am using is 8.6

2.  Do you have multiple versions of LabVIEW?
previouly I have 8.2 and 8.5. But I have deleted 8.5 before trying.

3.  Did you encounter any errors when installing DAQmx?
i guess not

4.  When reinstalling did you uninstall the DAQmx driver first?
yes I uninstalled it first. Also I uninstall the ELVIS and reinstall it.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(9,638 Views)

amisare,

I took a look at the VI and I too noticed the error.  I’m not sure how that error got in there, but I’ll file the appropriate documentation to get that updated. 

In the mean time if you just delete the numeric constant and right click the “Device Name” input and then choose constant this should fix the error.  After you’re done it will look like this:

Also, having your device connected doesn’t determine if the driver is working correctly or not so we must be missing something. 

On your Laptop did you completely uninstall LabVIEW 8.5 from Add/Remove programs or just delete the installation from your C driver?

Did you reinstall DAQmx after you uninstalled LabVIEW 8.5?

Thanks and we’ll get to the bottom of this!

Message Edited by Ryan N. on 04-01-2008 02:10 PM
Ryan N
National Instruments
Application Engineer
ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(9,625 Views)
Despite following the advice to "amasare" I cannot find StopLights.vi anywhere.  I have Traditional ELVIS, and installed NI Elvis 3.0.3.  I Have LabVIEW 8.2.  I can find VI's in the directories .../instr.lib/NI ELVIS traditional and ....examples/NI ELVIS traditional/, but not the VI's that I want!!
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(8,265 Views)

Hi David,

You can find those examples and many others in the Developer Zone link located here.

Regards,
Jim Schwartz
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(8,221 Views)